Gluten Free Energy Bites
A quick, healthy snack of protein and whole grains with a light sweetness.
- 2 cups gluten free quick oats
- 2 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 cup peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Steps / Method
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oats, coconut, peanut butter and honey. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix to combine. Add in sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, vanilla extract and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Using your hands, grab a small handful of the mixture and squeeze together to form a 1" ball. It will be gooey and sticky. The harder you can squeeze to compact it the better. Repeat until the entire mixture is used.
- This recipe will make approximately 45 bites.
What You Eat Matters...
I am constantly on the hunt for healthy, whole food snack options. This recipe provides a nice balance of protein and whole grains with a light sweetness. They taste great, are easy to pull together, and are a whole food snack option – a win-win!
Oats are naturally gluten free however there is concern with cross-contamination, so I look for the gluten-free option. If you are not a peanut butter fan, or have a peanut sensitivity or allergy, explore using almond butter, cashew butter or sunflower butter. It will provide a different flavor profile adding a fun variation to the snack. These ingredients are common pantry items making it an easy snack to put together. They store very well in the refrigerator or freezer, so once the bites are made I divide the recipe in half ensuring we have enough to get through the week with some in reserve for the future.